[WYLUG-help] still trying to get this machine to copy cds/dvds

Mike mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net
Thu Mar 3 17:21:16 GMT 2005

Hi, Folks,

That's quite a number of very knowledgeable answers! It only goes to
underline my inexperience and ignorance, however, so in answer to John
Hodrien's question and an anticipated follow-up, fstab shows my DVDRW as
/dev/cdrom and my CDRW as /devcdrom1. The output of cdrecord -scanbus
is:

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
scsidev: 'ATA'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
(schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c
1.83 04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'LITE-ON ' 'DVDRW SOHW-1213S' 'TS08' Removable
CD-ROM
        1,1,0   101) 'LITE-ON ' 'LTR-52327S      ' 'QS57' Removable
CD-ROM
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *

and /etc/cdrecord.conf has:

#ident @(#)cdrecord.dfl	1.4 02/07/07 Copyr 1998 J. Schilling
#
# This file is /etc/cdrecord.conf
# It contains defaults that are used if no command line option
# or environment is present.
#
# The default device, if not specified elswhere
#
CDR_DEVICE=cdrom

#
# The default speed, if not specified elswhere
#
# Note that newer cdrecord versions do not default
# to speed=1. For MMC compliant drives, the default
# is to write at maximum speed, so it in general does
# not make sense to set up a default speed in /etc/cdrecord.conf
#
#CDR_SPEED=40

#
# The default FIFO size if, not specified elswhere
#
CDR_FIFOSIZE=4m

#
# The following definitions allow abstract device names.
# They are used if the device name does not contain the
# the characters ',', ':', '/' and '@'
#
# Unless you have a good reason, use speed == -1 and let
# cdrecord use it's intercal drive specific defaults.
#
# drive name	device	speed	fifosize driveropts
#
cdrom=		/dev/cdrom	-1	-1	burnfree

Do these help my helpers to help me?

With many thanks for the pointers to date and for you all taking your
time out. best regards,

Mike Goodman