[Wylug-help] Wireless orinoco_cs driver for Debian

Aaron Crane wylug at aaroncrane.co.uk
Sat Mar 12 20:19:34 GMT 2005

Dave Fisher writes:
> As I understand it, all I have to do to get an interface up is load the
> appropriate driver module and restart networking via
> /etc/init.d/networking.  Is this just tosh?

You shouldn't need to load the driver module explicitly if your PCMCIA
stuff is working correctly.  Install pcmcia-cs, hotplug, and
wireless-tools.  You probably need to put the appropriate wireless
options in /etc/network/interfaces; see iwconfig(8) for available ones.

Once it's all set up, just insert the card, and it should come to life.

> I really don't want to go through the arse-ache of compiling yet another
> kernel, so does anyone know if the  orinoco_cs driver has been packaged
> for Debian.  If so, where do I find it?

For 2.4 kernels, install the appropriate kernel-pcmcia-modules-*
package.  For example, Woody has kernel-image-2.4.18-1-k7 for
Athlon-family CPUs, and that package Suggests:
kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.18-1-k7.

For 2.6 kernels, it's in the standard kernel package.

--
Aaron Crane