[Wylug-help] Appalling Zope/Plone performance: what have I missed?

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Thu May 26 14:20:54 BST 2005

Hi,

Yep, I fell for Felix's recent Plone pitch.

A friend (honestly) asked me to put up a site for him that was easy to
get started with, but could be extended to become fairly feature-rich.

So I installed the debian Zope and Plone packages and the default setup
worked pretty well (if a bit slowly) out of the box on a local machine.

Unfortunately, any attempt to access my instances of either Zope or
Plone from the outside world timeout.

There's nothing in my system security preventing access, the HTTP
request is clearly being accepted, I'm not getting any error messages
and LAMP applications perform speedily on the same system.  The only
other thing I notice is that top shows 6 Python processes each consuming
40% of my memory.

So the question is: what really obvious thing have I failed to find in
the mountain range of incoherent and, frankly, contradictory
documentation that I've read so far?

Any clues?