[Wylug-help] Appalling Zope/Plone performance: what have I missed?

Jason Lander jason at env.leeds.ac.uk
Thu May 26 14:39:04 BST 2005

Dave,

> Unfortunately, any attempt to access my instances of either Zope or
> Plone from the outside world timeout.

Is there anything in the Z2.log (Zope web server requests) or
the associated event.log?

I'm afraid I don't know where the Debian package hides these.

> There's nothing in my system security preventing access, the HTTP
> request is clearly being accepted, I'm not getting any error messages
> and LAMP applications perform speedily on the same system.  The only
> other thing I notice is that top shows 6 Python processes each consuming
> 40% of my memory.

I think Zope is multithreaded, so the memory usage is misleading

> So the question is: what really obvious thing have I failed to find in
> the mountain range of incoherent and, frankly, contradictory
> documentation that I've read so far?

I agree about the Plone documentation. I've found the source code more
informative than most of the docs, with the notable exceptions of.

* Andy McKays book at http://docs.neuroinf.de/PloneBook
* Upfront systems course at http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za/courses/plone/

The Zope API and ZPT docs from http://zope.org are also very helpful.

- Jason