[Wylug-help] Wannadoo ADSL Modem With Phone Account

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 20:44:48 GMT 2005

Hi All,

I've just installed Ubuntu on another convert's home machine and that
went fine ... except for the speedtouch ADSL modem {sigh}.

There appear to be Linux drivers for it, but I couldn't find much in the
way of documentation in the few minutes that I had to look around the
speedtouch.com site ... to be honest, given the history of speedtouch
and Linux, I wasn't inclined to search high and low.

I was hoping that one or more WYLUG members might be able to shed light
on the following:

1. Is there only one current (last few weeks) Wannadoo brand ADSL modem?

2. If so, has anyone actually got it to work under Linux?

3. If so, can you point me to some documentation or offer tips?

Please don't suggest an ethernet router.

I know that's the answer, but my friend is short of cash (yes, GBP 35
really is a lot to him) and he's worried about losing the Wannadoo phone
service he got with the ADSL modem.

If anyone could shed light on this Wannadoo phone service that would be
very helpful.

He was assured (by Wannadoo) that the phone service doesn't affect his
ADSL bandwidth, which leads me to suspect that it isn't actually VOIP,
e.g. that the phone is just a standard POTS phone that plugs into a
microfilter built into the modem.

If that's so, I'd be inclined just to buy him an ethernet router and a
phone extender/splitter rather than devote indeterminate time to
debugging the modem.

If the phone service is VOIP, I'd guess it should be possible to
configure it to work with a cheap router.

Dave