[Wylug-help] SUSE NIC Device Names with Yast

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Sat Nov 12 18:35:55 GMT 2005

Hi All,

I've recently installed a SUSE 10 system at home.

The SUSE installer wouldn't initially load the driver for the onboard
NIC, so (as a temporary measure) I added a PCI NIC.

Once the network was up using the PCI NIC, I sorted out the driver for
the onboard card; leaving the system with two interfaces.

I've just removed the (now) unecessary PCI NIC and the onboard card is
still designated 'eth1' although 'eth0' no longer exists.

I can't seem to find a place in Yast's 'Network Devices' screen to
change the remaining on board card's designation to eth0.

Obviously, I could edit the generic config files, but (possibly
outdated) experience of doing so on SuSE systems has led me to be
cautious about 'going against the flow' of Yast.

Can anyone give me some pointers?

Dave