[Wylug-help] SUSE NIC Device Names with Yast

Phil Driscoll phil at dialsolutions.co.uk
Sun Nov 13 17:27:13 GMT 2005

On Saturday 12 November 2005 18:34, Dave Fisher wrote:
> The SUSE installer wouldn't initially load the driver for the onboard
> NIC, so (as a temporary measure) I added a PCI NIC.
>
> Once the network was up using the PCI NIC, I sorted out the driver for
> the onboard card; leaving the system with two interfaces.
>
> I've just removed the (now) unecessary PCI NIC and the onboard card is
> still designated 'eth1' although 'eth0' no longer exists.
>
> I can't seem to find a place in Yast's 'Network Devices' screen to
> change the remaining on board card's designation to eth0.

It looks to me like Yast can't do it. However if you delete the NIC and add it
again as a new device, you get an option 'configuration name' during that
process which should allow you to set the name to whatever you like (and with
any luck, it will default to eth0 anyway).

Good luck!
--
Phil Driscoll