[Wylug-help] IP settings/basic help

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Nov 12 22:43:27 GMT 2005

On Saturday 12 Nov 2005 20:40, Roger Greenwood wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am really struggling with something that should be so simple:-
>
> I have a small network of 2 computers, 1 with SuSE9.2, the other with
> SuSE9.3, connected via a small hub.
>
> This works fine.
>
> I have now obtained a wireless router, to give me wireless access for
> my laptop, but I can't even ping the router.
>
> It is a netgear MR814v2, and works fine when used at work, on a
> similar small network - wired and wireless connections are ok. I can
> also connect to the router by ethernet and wireless from the laptop,
> but all attempts from the linux network fail. Ethernet patch cable
> tested ok.
>
> Network addresses are 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 for the 2 linux
> machines. Network (LAN) address for the router is 192.168.0.7
>
> Netmasks are all 255.255.255.0
>
> Surely if this kit is connected together via a hub, they should be
> able to ping each other ?
>
> Ping is enabled on the router and the linux boxes, but reports
> destination host unreachable.
>
> All settings to date have been done using yast, but I don't mind
> doing manual changes if I knew what to do.
>
> What am I missing ?
>
> Roger Greenwood, Netherthong, hair receding fast.

Hi, Roger.  Most routers default to a .1 IP address.  Have you checked
the configuration against the manual?  I'd try changing the IP of box1
and setting the router to be .1, then try to get up the setup pages.  I
presume it's a web interface?

Anne - also Netherthong :-)
Mandriva hints & tips: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org