[Wylug-help] IP settings/basic help

Roger Greenwood rg at nthong.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Nov 12 20:43:25 GMT 2005

Hello all,

I am really struggling with something that should be so simple:-

I have a small network of 2 computers, 1 with SuSE9.2, the other with SuSE9.3,
connected via a small hub.

This works fine.

I have now obtained a wireless router, to give me wireless access for my
laptop, but I can't even ping the router.

It is a netgear MR814v2, and works fine when used at work, on a similar small
network - wired and wireless connections are ok. I can also connect to the
router by ethernet and wireless from the laptop, but all attempts from the
linux network fail. Ethernet patch cable tested ok.

Network addresses are 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 for the 2 linux machines.
Network (LAN) address for the router is 192.168.0.7

Netmasks are all 255.255.255.0

Surely if this kit is connected together via a hub, they should be able to
ping each other ?

Ping is enabled on the router and the linux boxes, but reports destination
host unreachable.

All settings to date have been done using yast, but I don't mind doing manual
changes if I knew what to do.

What am I missing ?

Roger Greenwood, Netherthong, hair receding fast.

--
Anthony's Law of the Workshop:
	Any tool when dropped, will roll into the least accessible

Corollary:
	On the way to the corner, any dropped tool will first strike
	your toes.