[Wylug-help] IP settings/basic help

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Sun Nov 13 15:51:57 GMT 2005

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Roger Greenwood wrote:

> I have now obtained a wireless router, to give me wireless access for my
> laptop, but I can't even ping the router.
>
> It is a netgear MR814v2, and works fine when used at work, on a similar small
> network - wired and wireless connections are ok. I can also connect to the
> router by ethernet and wireless from the laptop, but all attempts from the
> linux network fail. Ethernet patch cable tested ok.

To connect a switch to a hub you need normally need a crossed ethernet
cable. However many modern ethernet devices with autodetect and do the
crossing internally. Can yuo confirm that the netgear does this. If not
then try a crossed cable.

Alternative ditch the hub, and connect the 2 linux boxes into the Netgear
(it has 4 switched ethernet ports for the lan side?).