[Wylug-help] IP settings/basic help

Roger Greenwood rg at nthong.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Nov 13 20:36:29 GMT 2005

I just tried Jim's suggestion - plug the kit direct into the wireless hub - it
works. Jim you were spot on - I need a crossover cable!!

Firing up the laptop now gives me wireless access throughout the house,
magic!.

It must be ok at work because the unit I plugged into was also a switch - they
auto-negotiate. The unit at home is a dumb hub.

Thanks for all the comments, particularly Jim & Anne.

Roger Greenwood.

On Sunday 13 November 2005 12:49, Stephen Patterson wrote:
> Roger Greenwood wrote:
> > To clarify, I have a small 16 port 10MB/s hub, to which are connected 2 x
> > linux machines and 1 router. All fixed IP addresses 192.168.0.1   .2   .7
> >
> > My laptop can connect to the hub if a take the cable from the router/hub,
> > and plug it router/laptop.
> >
> > My laptop can also connect wireless to the hub, and I can log in to the
> > hub to change settings etc.
>
> Is the cable to your wireless router connected to the internal or
> external interface(s) of the router?
>
> I have a rather similar (working) setup, 2 PCs plugged into a switch
> with a second cable from the switch to one of the internal ports on the
> router (i.e. not the one marked ADSL/cable modem). The router's
> configured for the same IP range & netmask on the internal interface.

Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you remember.
		-- Oscar Levant