[Wylug-help] Permissions (Was: Procmail problem - resolved)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Nov 23 09:08:55 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 22 Nov 2005 22:59, Smylers wrote:

> Many people seem to have a few troubles with permissions.  If you're
> one of them then I'd advise completely forgetting about the numbers
> (not learning them in the first place is probably superior, but if
> that's already happened there isn't much you can do) and giving the
> symbols a try instead -- it may not suit everybody, but it's probably
> worth a go.

Actually, I don't normally have problems with this.  I think I know, on
reflection, what happened.  I wanted to test a new recipe and the
easiest way, I thought, was over a smb connection.  Because
Mandrake/Mandriva changed the way new accounts are created - I think it
brings them into line with most other distros - I ended up with a UID
of 501 on the server, but 500 here.  I believe, that in a mad moment, I
thought it could cause me a problem for the edit, so I temporarily
added write permission for the group user.  Pebcak, of course, but then
I tend to look at that first.  Trouble is that memory sometimes
fails ;-)

Mandriva hints & tips: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org