[Wylug-help] Permissions (Was: Procmail problem - resolved)

Stephen Patterson steve at patter.mine.nu
Wed Nov 23 16:06:49 GMT 2005

On 22 Nov 05, Smylers (Smylers at stripey.com) wrote:
> ... whether that "644" is a clue.  I don't remember ever really
> suffering from problems with permissions.  Equally, I've never
> completely got my head round the binary/octal arithmetic necessary for
> setting permissions like 644.

Ah yes, procmail tends to barf if anyone else can write to the procmailrc file,
though it logs the error (suspicious rcfile) out of the way in your mailserver
logs (if anywhere).

For the 644 permissions etc, we have a matrix like this:

4 2 1
r w x

for the user/group/all. So, mode 6 = rw, etc.

--
Stephen Patterson steve at patter.mine.nu http://patter.mine.nu/ GPG: E3E8E974
Jabber: patter on jabber.earth.li MSN: stephenpatterson893 at hotmail.com
GMail invites to anyone who wants one
"Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door."