[Wylug-help] linux and laptops

Shaun Laughey shaun at laughey.com
Sun Oct 9 21:27:03 BST 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 19:47 +0100, Andreas Erbe wrote:
> Hannah,
>
> > Are there still issues with linux on certain laptops?
> > Or has it all been sorted out in the last few years?
>
> A good source in this field is: http://www.tuxmobil.org/
>
> I have good experiences with SuSE 9.x on my 3 1/2 year old one, and I know
> other people who use it with later models (besides the HP/Ubuntu
> combination).
>
> Recently I came across an announcement of Dell. They plan to offer a laptop
> with pre-installed Linux. Don't know any details (model/distro), but you
> might want to have a look in this direction.
>
> Have fun,
>
> Andreas.

Hannah,

I would recommend a Dell D505 laptop.

I got it last year and everything worked first time except the built in
modem and infrared. I have not tried that hard to get them working
either as I have no use for them. The battery life is great too.

I have used Mandrake 10 and then 10.1 which I have now upgraded to 10.2/
Mandriva 2005LE with no problems.

It also ran Ubuntu with a little less success - the sound didn't work
first time but apart from that it too was excellent.

Shaun Laughey.