[Wylug-help] Linux Distro on Bootable USB Stick

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 11:31:27 BST 2005

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 10:45:45AM +0100, Peter Nix wrote:
> Dave,
> Good idea, does seem to me that there's only two sensible places for
> data and software: in your pocket or on a server - roll on the disc-
> less desktop machine.
>
> Are you sure the memory stick is the way to go? For not so much money
> you can get something slightly heavier that has useful standalone
> functionality, lots of data space, and could boot other people's cpus
> with your system and software.
>
> I'm intending to experiment with these:
> USBtech Camera Buddy Enclosure
> http://www.usbtech.co.uk/catalog/default.php/cPath/30?
> osCsid=fb35dc28926aaf516c85053bc08107ba
> USBtech MP3 Player
> http://www.usbtech.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/7/products_id/
> 186
> and see how many different bootable systems I can set up.
>
> (And if I was Steve Jobs I'd sell every Ipod with a ready-installed
> intel MacOS system hardware-keyed to the Ipod)

Thanks for that Peter.  It's definitely worth thinking about.

I had previously thought about laptop (2.5 in) drives and microdrives as
alternatives.

Although weight is definitely a consideration, my main concern was that
I hadn't seen one that supported the older form of USB.

I constantly forget the stupid marketing-driven naming schemes for USB.

Am I right in thinking that USB 1.1 is what people tried to market as
'USB2', so USB2 is not the same thing as 'USB 2.0'?

I assume that the transfer rates of original USB (1.0?) would not be
sufficient for such devices.

It would, however, be nice to have the option of using a storage device
that could be accessed (albeit slowly) from old PC kit.

Dave