[Wylug-help] Linux Distro on Bootable USB Stick

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 11:50:53 BST 2005

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 11:08:27AM +0100, Adam Greenwood wrote:
> One thing to remember is that before you even get to the point of
> getting GRUB to load a kernel and initrd, you have to load GRUB, so
> unless it's already on the box you need either:
>
> - A BIOS that can boot from a USB device (and a borrowed machine where
> you can play with the BIOS).
> - A floppy or (more likely) CD to get things started

These were pretty much the two alternatives I had in mind.  I planned to
use the latter as a fallback for the former.  What I think Jason's
advice tells me, is how to pass a viable root filesystem to Grub on both
the CD/Floppy and on the USB stick's MBR.

Obviously, I'd have to handcraft the CD/Floppy (/boot/grub/menu.lst) to
get Grub to use the stick-based root filesystem by default.

Dave