[Fwd: Re: [Wylug-help] Which Version of Linux?]

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Oct 25 10:39:40 BST 2005

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Anne Wilson wrote:

> That is not correct.  As I said, the problem was not exclusive to
> Mandrake.

Indeed not.  I think that was around Fedora Core 1 time, and the fedora
release did the exact same thing and triggered the same fault.  But I did like
the way mandrake got all the flak.  Other distros escaped the same fate simply
because of their release schedules if you ask me.

> It is impossible for any distro to be checked against every mode of every
> make of hardware.  No-one inside or outside of MandrakeSoft actually knew
> that this problem existed before Mandrake discovered it the hard way - and
> it was only with certain models of LG drives.  Please consider, also, that
> LG would not have got a firmware patch onto the Internet, not to say
> speedily, had it been a distro problem.

As I understood it the specification definined this as a noop on drives that
didn't support it, but I'm too lazy to not rely on hazy memory.

> In effect, we pay to be bug-testers :-)

Only in the world of OSS...

jh

--
"...you died a good death if your life had inspired someone to come forward
  and shoot your murderer in the chest, without asking to be paid."