[Wylug-help] Which Version of Linux?

Geoff Fielding geoff.f at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Oct 28 19:00:08 BST 2005

I started with Linux a year ago and didn't have as much confidence as
you with computers generally. I tried Mandriva but couldn't get on with
it. At that time Ubuntu was just about to release its first distro and I
was put onto it by one of the Huddersfield group.

I'm still with it. I can't say its been an easy ride but then taking it
on from its very Warty beginnings was never going to be plain sailing.
Two things have kept me with it
1.  the online support from the community has been really quite
exceptional. As a real novice I've asked some damn stupid questions and
have always got answers that have been generous and helpful. There's no
costs nor subscriptions
2. the distro is improving very quickly. As a distro now in its third
release it is becoming quite mature and very popular. DistroWatch
(http://distrowatch.com/) indicates that Ubuntu (the Gnome version) and
Kubuntu (KDE) together achieved getting on for twice as many web-site
hits as its nearest rival Mandriva over the last 6 months. This clearly
doesn't relate to the installation numbers but does give some idea of
the interest in it.
3. OK a third reason: I want to support the distro for its ethos.
Whether in the fullness of time it is just seen as clever "branding" I
don't know but the concept of a distro that potentially could dent
Windows monopoly, is based on community not company, and which is
actively being translated by the community into very many languages
including a host of African ones so that it can be freely available in
the poorest parts of the world, appeals to me. I want it to succeed.

Clearly this is my one experience of Linux and I hope it doesn't appear
that I'm "fanatically promoting" Ubuntu and therefore inevitably
deluded! but for me it has been a good experience.

PS  you can also download a Live CD version that can be run from the CD
to see whether you like it or not.

Hope you enjoy whatever you choose.