[WYLUG-Help] screen expanded and no icons for control

Mike mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net
Fri Sep 9 10:38:59 BST 2005

Hi, Folks,

Tried last night to get sounds working on my FC4 box. Looked around the
internet and tried various suggested commands, to no avail. One I came
across was aplay and I tried it. Something seemed to be happening but no
messages on screen (in a terminal) to say what. Eventually I got
something I simply did not understand but part of it said something like
"doing something with stdin at 8 x 1000KHz, or 1000 x 80 KHz" - sorry,
I'm really that vague about it. When I managed to get out of it (had to
reboot because I don't know the commands for how to stop or interrupt a
running process) the screen definition had expanded to something pretty
big - bigger than 800 x 600, I think. All the icons for mail, OO.o,
browser, Applications, Actions, Desktop, I expected to see in the bar at
the top of the screen have gone, although the empty bar is still there.
The icon for clicking between the four screens at the bottom has gone.

What have I done? How can I put it right? I can get a terminal up (so
I'm not permanently stuck in a now-useless GUI) by right-clicking but
that's as far as I've got.

Anyone got a bit of time to spare? ;)

Best regards,

Mike Goodman