[WYLUG-Help]

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Sep 9 14:52:06 BST 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Mike Goodman wrote:

> Thanks, Anne. Assuming CLI to mean something to do with command line, I
> typed in alsamixer and got a row of horizontal bars with captions
> underneath. The one on the left, Analog C, has red at the top, green in
> the middle and white at the bottom and 100<>100 beneath. All of the
> others, including a small one marked MM, are empty.
>
> Above the bar chart is:
> Card: CA0106
> ││ Chip:
> ││ Item: Analog Center/LFE
>
> So I asked it for help and got:
> [mike at count ~]$ alsamixer --help
> alsamixer: invalid option -- -
> AlsaMixer v1.0.9a
> Usage: alsamixer [-h] [-c <card: 0...7>] [-D <mixer device>] [-g] [-s]
> [-V <view>]
>
> Is it safe to experiment with these? I don't want my FC4 box emulating
> Billionaire Bill's Blue Screen of Death! :o) Even better if someone can
> tell me (politely, please) exactly what to do next.

You might prefer right clicking the volume control in the task bar, clicking
'Open Volume Control' or similar and playing with that.

It by default doesn't show all the controls, but you can enable them all by
going into preferences in the menus.

jh

--
"Only wimps use tape backup real men just upload their important stuff on ftp,
  and let the rest of the world mirror it."           -- Linus Torvalds