[WYLUG-Help]

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Sep 9 17:11:10 BST 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 16:31 +0100, Richard Osborne wrote:
>> Did you say the motherboard was also sound enabled?  When you installed
>> the SB sound card did you disable the motherboards sound device in the
>> BIOS?
>
> For that matter there *is* some form of output device
> (speaker/amp/headset) plugged into the appropriate jack on the sound
> device that is in use??  Finding which is the appropriate jack may also
> be a difficult task (or at least not as obvious as you expect).

On new cards I've not found that a problem, as the colour coding is /almost/
always correct.  Stupid little symbols with arrows and bracketty sound type
marks never really did it for me.

For people with poorly marked jacks try the following as a very effective
sound source:

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp

If you've got the sound cranked up loud, you know you've got the right one
when the blood starts trickling down your face from your ears.

jh

--
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
                                                      -- Voltaire