[Wylug-help] Wireless networking and Linux

Dave Brotherstone davebrotherstone at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 10:16:12 BST 2005

Hi,
I need to have a network socket downstairs, and the rest of my network is
upstairs. Running a cat5 cable would be ideal, but the routing of this is
non-trivial, due to the layout of the house.

The socket downstairs is only a 10baseT, so 11Mbps wireless is fine.
However, my broadband comes in upstairs on an ethernet link to my main linux
box, which then provides various services, and NATs anything coming over the
second interface out to the world. The second interface is linked to a
wireless access point, which is acting like a hub.

So, either I move the cable modem and wireless point downstairs (as there's
a cable point in the right room), and get some sort of wireless card for my
linux box, or, I get a further access point downstairs, and link the two
access points.

So, my question is - can anyone recommend a wireless card, internal or
external, that works well with linux, or is it possible to "link" two
wireless routers over a wireless connection? I've not seen that done before,
but "feel" it must be possible ;-)

I've seen dabs have an ethernet-to-wireless adapter, but it's £50, which
makes me think I'd be better with another access point, which would
hopefully improve the sometimes slightly dicky signal downstairs.

Looking at linux-wlan.org <http://linux-wlan.org>, linksys adapters seem to
come out reasonably well supported, has anyone had any experience of these?

Many thanks for any pointers,

Dave.