[Wylug-help] Wireless networking and Linux

gARetH baBB hick.wylug at gink.org
Tue Sep 27 16:04:32 BST 2005

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Dan Walker wrote:

> AFAICT the cheapest way of doing this is to get a Linksys WRT54g or other
> openwrt-compatible [1] router and use the client mode that the openwrt
> firmware enables.

I haven't looked for a bit, especially at the variants, but AFAICR the
"stock" OpenWRT doesn't support WDS repeating.

What you want is a plain bridging AP which does WDS repeating, ie. 99.9%
of them now-a-days.

If you want a recommendation, then the Netgear wg602v2 - it will also
bridge the Ethernet interface in WDS mode, which many earlier ones (eg.
Netgear ME103) didn't.

You can't repeat WPA/802.1x, only plain/WEP.