[Wylug-help] Wireless networking and Linux

Dan Walker danielwalker at fastmail.fm
Tue Sep 27 16:35:34 BST 2005

On Tuesday 27 Sep 2005 16:03, gARetH baBB wrote:
> I haven't looked for a bit, especially at the variants, but AFAICR the
> "stock" OpenWRT doesn't support WDS repeating.

It does; that's what the 'hackaday' link was for.

> What you want is a plain bridging AP which does WDS repeating, ie. 99.9%
> of them now-a-days.

I'm not sure that he does. I think the topology is

ADSL )===[Linux box]==[Wireless] -- -- -- -- -- [Wireless]==[Downstairs box]

(where equals signs are wires and hyphens wireless)

so I'm not sure WDS is what's needed - doesn't WDS extend the range of an
existing router rather than bridge two wireless networks?

Apologies if I've misunderstood.

Dan