[Wylug-help] Wireless networking and Linux

Dave Brotherstone davebrotherstone at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 20:36:07 BST 2005

On 28/09/05, gARetH baBB <hick.wylug at gink.org> wrote:

> > The wg602v2 isn't a router, it's an AP.

My mistake, apologies.

The 602's bridged ethernet port, even when the AP is in WDS repeating
> mode, will perform as good as you'll get out of 11b (if it's repeating a
> 11b AP), it's only the wireless side which "suffers" as you describe - but
> you won't get what you'd normally expect out of 10M ethernet from 11b
> anyway, it's more akin to 6M.

Ok. I'm running some "rigged up" tests to see if it's enough. But I like the
sound of an excuse to go to 11g, even if buying 2 APs seems pricey :)

You haven't exactly said what you require, do you require 10M FD ?

Good question, I'm fairly sure it's only HD, but how can I tell in Linux
what it's running as?

James Holden wrote:
> why not just put a PCI wireless card in the downstairs machine?
The "downstairs machine" is an embedded box, the NIC is built in to the box
(hence the 10M limitation), and it has no expansion slots.

Thanks,
Dave