[Wylug-help] Evolution Alerts

david powell dave at whipy.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 7 12:22:57 BST 2006

On Friday 07 April 2006 11:21 am, Smylers wrote:
> David Whiteley writes:
> > I am using evolution, and its calendar.
>
> Disclaimer: I've never used Evolution, so I don't know what I'm talking
> about.
>
> > When I set the alarm for an event, thge resultant screen popup often
> > seems to be hidden behind other windows on the screen.  It there any
> > way to configure it so that these alerts are "always on top"?
>
> Which desktop environment and window manager are you using?
>
> Applications can indicate that a particular window is deemed
> 'important', and it's up to the window manager to decide how to indicate
> this to the user.  Gnome's current behaviour is indicate importantness
> by flashing the windows entry in the window list.  Personally I
> preferred its previous behaviour (long rant below).
>
> However, you may be able to use Devil's Pie and tell it to look out for
> Evolution alarm windows and make them be always on top (which is not
> quite the same thing as appearing raised (because you can't even lower
> them manually), but may do for alarms).  You'll probably also want to
> make alarms be pinned to all workspaces -- it's no good an alarm popping
> up on one workspaces if you're looking at a different one.
>
> Devil's Pie is here:
>
>   http://www.burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie
>
> I'm using version 0.10, as found in the latest Ubuntu release.  For what
> it's worth the XML below is what I use to pin Gaim windows to all
> workspaces ... but versions 0.13 onwards has a completely different
> configuration syntax (S-expressions turned out to be more useful than
> XML -- who'd've thought?), so this may be of no use at all:
>
>   <?xml version="1.0"?>
>   <!DOCTYPE devilspie SYSTEM "devilspie.dtd">
>   <devilspie>
>
>     <flurb name="Gaim windows on all workspaces">
>       <matchers>
>         <matcher name="DevilsPieMatcherWindowName">
>           <property name="application_name" value="gaim"/>
>         </matcher>
>       </matchers>
>       <actions>
>         <action name="DevilsPieActionSetWorkspace">
>           <property name="pinned" value="TRUE"/>
>         </action>
>       </actions>
>     </flurb>
>
>   </devilspie>
>
> Smylers
>

> Here's that rant against Gnome's decision on how to draw attention to
> 'important' windows:
>
> Until fairly recently Gaim instant messenger windows would pop up on top
> of other things, but this behaviour was changed -- not by Gaim, but by
> Gnome.  It seems that applications can set some sort of 'this window is
> important flag', and it's up to the window manager how to indicate that
> to the user.
>
> A few months ago I browsed the Gnome Bugzilla and mailing list entries
> discussing this.  Users, rightly, objected to IM windows popping up and
> stealing the focus, since if you're in the middle of typing something in
> [...]

from observation i have found gnome to seem to adopt one rigid method for alot
of things like this
there changing someting like that can affect alot of users who prefer it the
other way

form the developers point of view it is restrictive and prevents some new
features being added ant they are prevented from adding the option to use
ether way (because its not what there standards allow)

kde development on the other hand the end result would usualy be an option
that would allow for eather way to be used

so you have a better choice of how you want the system to opperate
ie ether way is posible

the down side is that it may take you a bit longer to learn or find
but in the long term leads to better usabilaty as it is more personally tuned
to the way you like it

sounds like the problem beeing descused is that the windowmanager is set to
not bring new windows to focus , in kde that is an option in the
windowmanager setings in kde control center someware

its the user options that kde offers that makes it very powerful and flexible
but the down side is that it may take some time to learn and experiment with
the diferent settings till you find the best for you

in a simple form
gnome is like windows in that  xyx will always do xyz
kde   xyz can be customized  so that xyz can be done in a way that you like

options = choice , choice = freedom to do things your way
rather than the one size fits all

Dave