[Wylug-help] Evolution Alerts

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Apr 7 16:44:11 BST 2006

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Smylers wrote:

> A few months ago I browsed the Gnome Bugzilla and mailing list entries
> discussing this.  Users, rightly, objected to IM windows popping up and
> stealing the focus, since if you're in the middle of typing something in
> another window you suddenly find your text going into an instant
> message.

And gaim's default of using Ctrl-Return to send a message means this isn't a
major threat to privacy, more just an annoyance.

> While in general I agree with the Gnome (and Firefox) viewpoint that
> excessive configuration options should be avoided in favour of behaviour
> that is good by default, I'd rather have something with a few too many
> options (which I can ignore) than be missing something I really want --
> and failing to spot "instant" messages from my boss popping up on screen
> is definitely a problem that needs solving, not just a whim.
>
> Perhaps it's a good time to give KDE another whirl ...

I *think* that the new notification message box things in the latest gnome
could[1] make all this go away.  Now taskbar applet type things can prod you with
a little box that appears near them, that appears then disappears within a few
seconds.  NetworkManager for example tells you that it's connected to a
wireless network, then it disappears.

jh

[1] assuming the gaim people take advantage of it.  Adding gnome specific
cruft to gaim I assume...

--
"Nostaligia's not what it used to be."               -- Anon.