[Wylug-help] X over ssh

Don Magee don at leedsweb.dyndns.org
Fri Apr 21 02:02:35 BST 2006

Any X experts out there. I am trying to get ethereal to work on a comms
box that doesn't have X installed. The method is to use ssh -X to get
ssh to carry the X protocol data to the machine with the gui. If I run
ethereal (or any other gui proces) this way on a remote box with X
installed it all works fine.

So the question is what is the minimal X installation required to get it
to work. The comms box has a small disk so I don't want to install any
more stuff than I have to.

I'm running Fedora 4 and 5 on the boxes concerned.

Don Magee