[Wylug-help] X over ssh

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Fri Apr 21 09:19:25 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 02:02 +0100, Don Magee wrote:
> Any X experts out there. I am trying to get ethereal to work on a comms
> box that doesn't have X installed. The method is to use ssh -X to get
> ssh to carry the X protocol data to the machine with the gui. If I run
> ethereal (or any other gui proces) this way on a remote box with X
> installed it all works fine.
>
> So the question is what is the minimal X installation required to get it
> to work. The comms box has a small disk so I don't want to install any
> more stuff than I have to.
>
> I'm running Fedora 4 and 5 on the boxes concerned.

If you really want to run ethereal in X on there then you need to
install with yum (so that it pulls in the dependencies) ethereal-gnome
and xorg-x11-xauth (needed for ssh X forwarding, however that might be
pulled in by ethereal-gnome).

You will find that a whole pile of packages including a ton of the gnome
libraries will be pulled in.

You would probably do better to save the packet dumps on the comms box,
copy (scp) them to something local, and run ethereal on that...

ie
on comms box to save data...
	tcpdump -n -w /tmp/pkts -s 1500 -i eth0

then on local box