[Wylug-help] ADLS Modem Recommendations

Nigel Cemm nigel at rowangarth.net
Sun Apr 23 15:42:58 BST 2006

Hello,

I am looking for a ADSL modem to attach to a SPARC box
configured as a router and firewall (using pf).

My requirements are:

o Ethernet port (do not really need multiple ports)

o PPPoA client capable of being configured to work with any
broadband provider

o Command line interface (although a Web only interface will do)

o Low power consumption

A search has unearthered the ADSLNation X-modem as a possible
contender. A review at ADSLGuide is here:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2003/q3/xmodem.asp

It seems reasonable although a unit with basic NAT functionality
to allow the use of a fixed LAN address may be useful.

I am specifically trying to avoid the widely available ADSL
modem / router / firewall / wireless AP one box solutions as
they provide functionality that I have no need for.

Any thoughts and recommendations will be gratefully received.

Thank you.

---
nigel.