[Wylug-help] Mounting an NTFS drive as user

Kätzchen katze.katze at yahoo.de
Wed Aug 2 23:18:47 BST 2006

Hi,
 I am using Debian x64 sarge in a dual boot configuration and some of my files are on an ntfs partition on a different physical drive (hdb1).
 I would like to mount this in a directory in my users home.  I have no problems mounting it as root, but I cannot get it to mount as user.
 I have the following in my /etc/fstab:

 /dev/hdb1       /home/rachel/hdb        ntfs    ro,user,auto    0       0

 my unmounted directory has the following permissions set:
 drwxr-xr-x   2 rachel rachel     4096 2006-07-30 15:25 hdb

 If I try to mount it using mount /dev/hdb1 hdb then it simply tells me I must be a superuser despite putting user in the options in my fstab.
 If I leave it to mount automatically when it boots up the directory seems to suddenly have root as the owner/group and my user is not allowed in!

 Regards
 Rachel