[Wylug-help] Mounting an NTFS drive as user

Towle, William william.towle at echostar.com
Thu Aug 3 09:26:47 BST 2006

> some of my files are on an ntfs partition on a different physical
drive (hdb1).

0

> If I try to mount it using mount /dev/hdb1 hdb then it simply tells me
I must be a > superuser despite putting user in the options in my fstab.

  Once a device is mentioned in fstab, shorthands apply. Given the above
is in /etc/fstab, these will be equivalent (and work for all users):
	mount /dev/hdb1
	mount /home/rachel/hdb

  Presumably you're still trying the long hand form [telling mount the
device and directory]; this circumvents /etc/fstab, hence despite the
arguments (and options)  matching an fstab entry you must still be root
for security reasons.

  Previous advice regarding auto/noauto, user/users options still
applies.

HTH,
  Wills.