Fw: [WYLUG-HELP] USB memory stick permissions

Imran Javeed imran.javeed at i-ksolutions.com
Fri Aug 25 23:14:00 BST 2006

------Original Message------
To: mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Sent: Aug 25, 2006 23:11
Subject: Re: [WYLUG-HELP] USB memory stick permissions

Just bought two plain 1GB memory sticks, "no drivers needed", from
Viking Direct. My Ubuntu workstaion is telling me they are read only. It
is corrrectly reading them, i.e right click on the usbdisk icon and lick
properties, it shows the size as 991.7MB, contents nothing. Click on
permissions and it shows owner as read, write and execute. But try and
add group or others and not allowed, read only disk.

Imran Javeed wrote

How are they mounted, are they mounted ro or rw?

Just bought two plain 1GB memory sticks, "no drivers needed", from
Viking Direct. My Ubuntu workstaion is telling me they are read only. It
is corrrectly reading them, i.e right click on the usbdisk icon and lick
properties, it shows the size as 991.7MB, contents nothing. Click on
permissions and it shows owner as read, write and execute. But try and
add group or others and not allowed, read only disk.

Any answers?

Best regards,

Mike