[Wylug-help] fstab

Stephen Patterson steve at patter.mine.nu
Sat Dec 9 16:35:07 GMT 2006

On 09 Dec 06, Carl Walters (carl.walters at vtrnorth.co.uk) wrote:
> I need help configuring the fstab file on a Linux Redhat system. I'm
> trying to mount an apple Xserve and have used the line:
>
> //192.168.1.201/XserveRAID	/xserve	smbfs
> guest,rw,sockopt=TCP_NODELAY	0,0

There are a few options, but if you're the only person using this system:
//192.168.1.201/XserveRAID	/xserve	smbfs guest,uid=xxx	0,0

(replace xxx with your own uid, "echo $UID" will show the uid)
will make all the files & directories appear to be owned by you. You can also
use gid=xxx to force the files to be owned by a specific group.

> I'm accessing via smb and not nfs, which I think would be a better
> protocol.

nfs is ... different. It will let you set linux-native permissions but you
can't fake file ownership as you can for samba above, and the ownership is
exported by numeric id only, which can lead to interesting times if anyone else
has the same UID & access that nfs server.

--
Stephen Patterson :: steve at patter.mine.nu :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber: patter at jabber.earth.li
"Don't be silly, Minnie. Who'd be walking round these cliffs with a gas oven?"