[Wylug-help] Cheap wireless ethernet

Chris Davies MBCS chris.davies at bcs.org.uk
Mon Dec 11 12:59:20 GMT 2006

Paul Scorer wrote:
> Do *NOT* forget to put some security on it. e.g. *don't* broadcast the
> essid

Arrgghh. Please *DO* broadcast the essid!

Hiding the essid only gives the illusion of added security and it makes it far
harder for Jo Above-Average to choose a different channel to yours as she can't
see your network.

If someone has the right tools to hack a WEP connection, then they'll have the
right tools to see your "hidden" essid anyway. If they don't, then they won't
know to avoid your hidden network and there's effectively a 33% chance that
they'll end up choosing the same channel as you. Then the two networks will
start generating interference with each other and everyone gets frustrated  :-(

I'm convinced one of neighbours has hidden their essid and I don't have a
network card that will let me find out what they've done. Asking around just
gets me blank looks. I'm back to trying various different channels, also trying
to ensure I'm not tramping on someone else's network at the same time.

Chris
--
Chris Davies MBCS, chris.davies at bcs.org.uk, 07778 199069