[Wylug-help] Cheap wireless ethernet

Stephen Patterson steve at patter.mine.nu
Mon Dec 11 13:41:37 GMT 2006

On 11 Dec 06, Chris Davies MBCS (chris.davies at bcs.org.uk) wrote:
> Paul Scorer wrote:
> >Do *NOT* forget to put some security on it. e.g. *don't* broadcast the
> >essid

> Arrgghh. Please *DO* broadcast the essid!

Seconded. I get random interference every few weeks as if one of the neighbours
is using the same frequency but hidden the essid so I can't see whats wrong.

> I'm convinced one of neighbours has hidden their essid and I don't have a
> network card that will let me find out what they've done. Asking around
> just gets me blank looks. I'm back to trying various different channels,
> also trying to ensure I'm not tramping on someone else's network at the
> same time.

From the ethereal docs, chan 6 should be good, its one of the 3 that don't
overlap as much as the others. I've found netstumbler handy but thats windows
only.

--
Stephen Patterson :: steve at patter.mine.nu :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber: patter at jabber.earth.li
"Don't be silly, Minnie. Who'd be walking round these cliffs with a gas oven?"