[Wylug-help] OT: 200m Wifi Link

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Mon Dec 18 20:35:37 GMT 2006

Hi All,

Not Linux related as such, but I'm planning on setting up a wireless
link between two buildings.

There's direct line of sight roof to roof, and they're 206m apart.
There's no obstructions such as trees, and any road traffic would be
well below the link level.

802.11b is fine.

So, questions:

1) Does this type of installation need licensing or planning permission?

2) Circular waveguide antennas should be OK? (ie: Professional Pringles
Can type of thing)

eg: http://www.wirelesspro.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=73

3) A couple of decent wireless bridges should do - any recommendations?

Linksys WAP54G's look OK.

I'm not averse to homebrew or warranty-voiding :-)

I've got a budget of a couple or three hundred quid and a weekend.

Any advice appreciated...

Cheers,

James