[Wylug-help] Dual NIC, hosts, resolv and all that

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 14:50:55 GMT 2006

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Dave Whiteley wrote:

> Interesting.  Ping does find the correct address.  It fails to
> communicate though, which is why I started this investigation.

> What would be the approved method of configuring the multiple NICs?
> Should I invent new names for the "private" ports of foo and bar, say
> "privatefoo" and "privatebar"?

I'm not sure about the broad answer to that question.  I was quite happy with
your foo.private but not the plain foo.

(Being verbose for the benefit of others)

If you can't ping an IP, I'd first check what the routing table was on the
machines (/sbin/route -n) and then if that all looked good, I'd check the
firewall settings (/sbin/iptables -nvL).  In both cases I'd routinely disable
the DNS lookup, as more often than not when I'm doing this, DNS is broken
somewhere too...

Leave DNS until you've got the underlying network merry (as otherwise you end
up debugging the wrong thing IME).

jh

--
"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."
                                                      -- Robert Heinlein