[Wylug-help] Dual NIC, hosts, resolv and all that

Dave Whiteley d.l.whiteley at ee.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 14:24:21 GMT 2006

> On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, David Whiteley wrote:
>
> > #  host foo
> >
> > seems to use the DNS rather that the host table.
> >
> > What have I missed?
>
> I thought the host command behaved like that.  Does ping agree with
> host?
>
> I wasn't a fan of having foo and bar listed as alises for two
> different IPs
> mind.
>
> jh

Interesting.  Ping does find the correct address.  It fails to
communicate though, which is why I started this investigation.

I thought that the "host" command would use the configured lookup method
- OK, so I am wrong.

What would be the approved method of configuring the multiple NICs?
Should I invent new names for the "private" ports of foo and bar, say
"privatefoo" and "privatebar"?

Dave