[Wylug-help] Rescue with knoppix

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 12:12:13 GMT 2006

I'm having a problem in that I can't boot to the drive with my most recent
data, although the data appears to be intact.  Last night I rescued some data
using knoppix and a pen-drive, but this morning I can't get the pen-drive to
mount, although I've checked it on this system, and everything is OK.

I have checked that it is being seen on /dev/sde and I rescued the data last
night by mounting sde1, but -

mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/sde1
mount:  /dev/sde1 is not a valid block device

mount /dev/sde /mnt/sde
mount:  You must specify the file system type

mount -t vfat /dev/sde /mnt/sde
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sde, or too many
mounted filesystems

The command that succeeded last night was simply
mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/sde1

Can anyone suggest what is going wrong?