[Wylug-help] Rescue with knoppix

Yiannis Gatsoulis menig at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Feb 10 16:01:42 GMT 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> I'm having a problem in that I can't boot to the drive with my most recent
> data, although the data appears to be intact.  Last night I rescued some data
> using knoppix and a pen-drive, but this morning I can't get the pen-drive to
> mount, although I've checked it on this system, and everything is OK.
>
> I have checked that it is being seen on /dev/sde and I rescued the data last
> night by mounting sde1, but -
>
> mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/sde1
> mount:  /dev/sde1 is not a valid block device
>
> mount /dev/sde /mnt/sde
> mount:  You must specify the file system type
>
> mount -t vfat /dev/sde /mnt/sde
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sde, or too many
> mounted filesystems
>
> The command that succeeded last night was simply
> mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/sde1
>
> Can anyone suggest what is going wrong?
>
> Anne

Yes, there is also a "weird" behaviour on my Fedora3 as one pen drive is
recognised as /dev/sda and the other as /dev/sda1 when they are solely
connected.... It might have to do something with how the pen drives are
partitiioned. Anyway, try something like:
mount -t vfat /dev/sde1 /mnt/mount_dir

Also it might be helpful to look at the lsusb output. If as root you do:
lsusb to get the bus and device number and then
lsusb -vv -s <yourbus>:<device>

you will get a lot of informaion about the usb device which might be
helpful...