[Wylug-help] Rescue with knoppix

Towle, William william.towle at eldon.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 17:49:01 GMT 2006

> >  In my case, SuSE 8 used to assign my pen drives /dev/sdb
> and /dev/sdc based
> >  on connection order - but the first one inserted has
> always been /dev/sda
> >  under Knoppix 3.3 (which is either failing to detect my
> zip drive, looking
> >  for it second, or [maybe?] prefers it to have media in
> before giving it a
> >  device name).
>
> I thought knoppix (using 4.0.2 here) placed a shortcut on
> your desktop for
> devices that it found?

  Possibly for 3.3 also, but that would involve having a
desktop that can be seen (there's a "cheat code" for not
having the X runlevel, for example). I always end up with
very low resolution and correspondingly huge shell
windows, which is not ideal - but is tolerable for the
purpose I want knoppix in the first place.

  ...of course, placing icons for the devices would
involve having a readable partition table, and possibly
readable file systems in the partitions (or at least,
making the icons work as expected would) - hence what
my "things to try" list endeavours to determine...

Cheers,
  Wills.