[Wylug-help] Rescue with knoppix

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 16:27:23 GMT 2006

On Friday 10 February 2006 14:12, Towle, William wrote:

>   I'm guessing that it was given the 'sde' designation because there are
> (or
> were) other removable devices connected beforehand.

I guess it is something in knoppix-land, as there was no obvious reason for
that.  I had to start with 'mount /dev/sda.....' and so on until I found one
that was recognised.

> If you've rebooted
> since,
> did you connect the removable devices in the same order - ie. are you
> absolutely sure it's *still* 'sde'?

I left it on, overnight, just in case, so that's not the reason.

> Maybe you rebooted with the stick
> connected, and this fact changed things (ie. kernel versus hotplug
> auto-detection has made a difference to the designation).
>   In my case, SuSE 8 used to assign my pen drives /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc
> based on connection order - but the first one inserted has always been
> /dev/sda under Knoppix 3.3 (which is either failing to detect my zip
> drive,
> looking for it second, or [maybe?] prefers it to have media in before
> giving
> it a device name).
>
>   In addition to `fdisk -l`, you can also use `file -s` on devices. This
> will tell you if a drive is bootable, and what filesystems are on the
> partitions.

I forgot 'fdisk -l' at first, but did remember it later, when I tried my
second pen-drive.  That got mounted at sdf.  The upshot is that I now have
everything I need on backups, in one place or another.  I have a new hard
drive which I shall install this evening, and FC4, all being well, will be in
place before bedtime.

Thanks to all for the help.