[Wylug-help] Gentoo - Kernel / booting problems, error 13:

Keiko Hamasaki mitnick_rocks at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 24 02:35:12 GMT 2006

Hia,

 This began when i started setting up samba following the Gentoo quick how to guide, i reached the point to do a test mount of my first smb share, but i got an error, after looking it up, it meant that smbfs wasn't compiled in my kernel, which was odd, as i compiled it explicitedly myself... hmmm, so i went back double checked and compiled my kernel again, nope, i tried as a module nope...

I got a few people involved and went through it step by step, this time i created a new GrUB entry for a testing kernel and renamed my new bzImage appropriately for this new testing entry, and rebooted to try it... it didn't work, giving an error, i've tried various things includding and fsck reboots, more kernel re-compiles, and i'm rather lost, can anyone help me please, the boot error is as follows:

 Booting Gentoo Testing Kernel

 root(hd0,6)
       Filesystem type is ext2fs, Partition type 0x83
       Kernel / gentoo-testing

 Error 13: Invalid or unsupportted executeable format.

I appreciate any help you can give, i've looked around the forum, various websites, and as yet havn't found a solutionn and desperately need asistance, it now appears i can't use any re-compiled kernels, and certainly can't get samba running until this is fixed.

 Thanks - Keiko