[Wylug-help] Gentoo - Kernel / booting problems, error 13:

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Fri Feb 24 14:57:56 GMT 2006

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Keiko Hamasaki wrote:

> Hia,
>
>  This began when i started setting up samba following the Gentoo quick
> how to guide, i reached the point to do a test mount of my first smb
> share, but i got an error, after looking it up, it meant that smbfs
> wasn't compiled in my kernel, which was odd, as i compiled it
> explicitedly myself... hmmm, so i went back double checked and compiled
> my kernel again, nope, i tried as a module nope...

 cat /proc/filesystems

tells you what filesystems your kernel can handle
Remember that some filesystem support is compiled as modules, and the
module must be loaded before the kernel can handle that filesystem

>   I got a few people involved and went through it step by step, this
> time i created a new GrUB entry for a testing kernel and renamed my new
> bzImage appropriately for this new testing entry, and rebooted to try
> it... it didn't work, giving an error, i've tried various things
> includding and fsck reboots, more kernel re-compiles, and i'm rather
> lost, can anyone help me please, the boot error is as follows:

A simple check - copy your existing (non-smb) kernel into the place where
grub expectes to find the new kernel, and try rebooting to this
"alternative".

If this succeeds then your new compiled kernel is pants, if it fails then
you haven't got grub configured correctly.

>  Booting Gentoo Testing Kernel
>
>  root(hd0,6)
>        Filesystem type is ext2fs, Partition type 0x83
>        Kernel / gentoo-testing
>
>  Error 13: Invalid or unsupportted executeable format.
>   I appreciate any help you can give, i've looked around the forum,
> various websites, and as yet havn't found a solutionn and desperately
> need asistance, it now appears i can't use any re-compiled kernels, and
> certainly can't get samba running until this is fixed.

You may not have incuded a kernel option that is needed, or you may have
comiled some options that must be there at boot as modules.
You've not really given enough information to help I'm afraid.

Jim