[Wylug-help] Install and graphics cards trouble

bytey bytey at bytey.co.uk
Thu Jan 5 14:59:30 GMT 2006

Hi,

I wonder if anyone might be able to offer some advice.

I recently finished getting together components for putting together my
new workstation as a xmas gift to myself.  I am however having a
multitude of problems getting it up and running or atm to even actually
install any operating system other than XP pro.  From looking around a
few others seem to have had the same problem but as of yet I have to
find a resolution to it.

Basically when (if) I get a installation of a nix on the machine no
matter what I do when x starts all I get is alternate static pink and
white vertical lines and I have to reboot the system.  I've tried
installing SuSe 10.0 installed the nvidia drivers set correct setting
for my monitor etc but still no luck.  I have also tried and FC4, FC3,
SuSe 9.3pro with the same problem.  Ideally I want to be running Kubuntu
but I cannot even get that to install its fails on installing zlib on
this system.

The full system spec is

AMD64 (venice core) 3500+
2GB corisar DDR400 dual channel
lite on DVD/RW
lite on DVDrom
Asus A8N deluxe
PCIe XFX 6800GS xxx
Sata 150 maxtor Dmax 10 200gb main drive
Sata 150 maxtor Dmax 10 80gb XP drive (for games if I ever get the time
and the missus is not around)
Hiper 460w modular PSU
Netgear WG111T pci card
19" hyundai imagequest monitor

I previously had no problems running a 6800le with X even without the
nvidia driver it would work fine with the VESA defaults and various
other Nvidia cards over the past few years none have posed problems like
this.  I suppose its overall two problems as in a perfect world I would
like to be running Kubuntu due to less bloat but any advice/suggestions
as to why it will not install  and what the problem with the gfx might
be would be greatley appreciated.

Windows installed and works perfectley so I am assuming its not a
hardware issue?

Look forwards to meeting some of you at future meetings.

Thanks
Wayne