[Wylug-help] mkisofs -dvd-image and charset

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 04:00:58 GMT 2006

Hi All,

Has anyone else noticed problems creating dvd-video images with recent versions
of mkisofs?

I get a variety of warnings like this, if I try to create such an image:

  $  mkisofs -v -o dvd.iso -dvd-video VIDEO_TS
  INFO:   ISO-8859-1 character encoding detected by locale settings.
          Assuming ISO-8859-1 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
          use -input-charset to override.
  mkisofs 2.01-unofficial-iconv (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
  Scanning VIDEO_TS
  mkisofs: Unable to make a DVD-Video image.

I get more or less similar whinges about charsets if I try to create a data dvd
image of the same directory (with or without rockridge and joliet options), but
no obstacle to creating the image:

  $  mkisofs -v -o dvd.iso VIDEO_TS
  INFO:   ISO-8859-1 character encoding detected by locale settings.
          Assuming ISO-8859-1 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
          use -input-charset to override.
  mkisofs 2.01-unofficial-iconv (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
  Scanning VIDEO_TS/
  Writing:   Initial Padblock                        Start Block 0

I've tried changing my locale and default charset from UTF-8 to iso8859-1, but
to no obvious effect.  Given this, and the irrelevance of joliet and rockridge
options (with their access to a vast range of charsets), I'm begining to suspect
the usefulness of the reference to charsets at all.

Any ideas?

It's quite possible that I've updated my mkisofs package since the last time I
used it to burn a video dvd, but I'm reluctant to instantly downgrade, because
of the number of dependent packages.

Dave