[Wylug-help] mkisofs -dvd-image and charset

Aaron Crane wylug at aaroncrane.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 09:21:45 GMT 2006

Dave Fisher writes:
>   $  mkisofs -v -o dvd.iso -dvd-video VIDEO_TS
>   INFO:   ISO-8859-1 character encoding detected by locale settings.
>           Assuming ISO-8859-1 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
>           use -input-charset to override.

That's just informational (hence the "INFO" label).  If your VIDEO_TS
directory has the right contents, all filenames are ASCII-only, so it
doesn't make any difference whether mkisofs thinks they're ASCII, ISO
8859-1, UTF-8, or anything else that's ASCII-compatible.

>   mkisofs 2.01-unofficial-iconv (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
>   Scanning VIDEO_TS
>   mkisofs: Unable to make a DVD-Video image.

I think you've got two errors in your command line.  First of all, video
DVD filesystems are UDF, not ISO 9660, so you need to add the '-udf'
option.  Secondly, mkisofs adds the _contents_ of any command-line
directories to the filesystem it builds, rather than the directories
themselves.  So, suppose the full path to the VIDEO_TS is

  ~/dvd_burning_project/DAVE_FISHER_DVD/VIDEO_TS

To master a video DVD image from that directory, you should:

  cd ~/dvd_burning_project
  mkisofs -o DAVE_FISHER_DVD.iso -udf -dvd-video DAVE_FISHER_DVD

Obviously, this means that ~/dvd_burning_project/DAVE_FISHER_DVD should
only contain things that you want to appear on the root of the DVD's
filesystem.

It's also nice to add a volume label to video DVDs; to do that, add '-V
DAVE_FISHER_DVD' (or whatever label you want) to the mkisofs command
line.

--
Aaron Crane