[Wylug-help] Urdu Support

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jan 16 09:39:52 GMT 2006

Aaron Crane wrote:

> A number of ancient languages (notably early Semitic ones including
> Phoenician, as well as Hungarian runes) were typically written
> boustrophedon: alternating lines of left-to-right and right-to-left,
> like inkjet printers.  Many of the boustrophedon scripts also reversed
> the shape of the letters on alternate lines.  The term "boustrophedon"
> comes from Greek for "as the ox turns"; it's the same way an ox would
> pull a plough through a field.  Many early Greek inscriptions are
> boustrophedon.

As  off topic as this is, interesting...  I can't quite imagine learning to
write letters in both directions, nor can I imagine the saved CR compensating
for the smudge of unintelligible goo left being after I rub my hand across my
barely understandable handwriting.  I do like the idea of reading it though, so
perhaps the benefits come later.

jh