[Wylug-help] strange hard drive problem

Andreas Erbe phyae at phys-irc.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jan 16 09:40:13 GMT 2006

> now what i find is suspect is once this has happend there is no way i have
> found to recover any data from the drive , so i have been unable to review
> the logs , and software on the drive for sign's of beeing hacked or wether
> it was a virus , and the same one 3 times in the last 5 years is suspect

Is there no way to boot it on Knoppix and access the drive (before you do all
the other things that lead to windows refusing to install)?

> the drive appears to be faulty , but , it is posible to install linux on it
> without any problems at all , so its not a hardware problem , even all the
> drive tests show no faults , but a windows install on it will fail to boot

So a windows installation disc will not even consider booting, or does it come
up with an error when detecting the harddisc?

You will hate me for this - but that virus sounds interesting :-)

Good luck,

Andreas.